O/T Children's Furniture - any ideas?

Discussion Forum for those with assisted reproduction pregnancies and children.

Moderator: Administrator

wendymw

O/T Children's Furniture - any ideas?

#1 Post by wendymw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm going to decorate the back bedroom, so that Theo can have a big boy's room (he's currently still in the little bedroom with cot bed and nursery furniture).

I am looking to get ideally matching bed/wardrobe/other bits of furniture.

The bedroom is not huge, but I don't want it too cluttered with furniture as I'd like him to have space to play in there (currently all his toys are in the lounge).

I quite like the idea of a mid sleeper (not a very high bed), but am unsure as to whether he will be too small for it yet (he's 3 in September), or whether to buy a single with a trundle bed or something.

I've trawled the internet, but can't find anything that really stands out. I also don't want themed/coloured furniture as I suspect he'll grow out of that quickly.

I don't want to spend an enormous amount, but want something good quality.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Wendy x

maryrose

#2 Post by maryrose » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Wendy - Have a look at Aspace. I've never had anything from them, but they always send me the catalogue.

http://www.aspace.co.uk/beds/single_beds

Also, Great Little Trading Co. might be worth looking at. I think they have a 50% sale on at the mo.

Love Maryrose xxx

wishuponastar

#3 Post by wishuponastar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I love this but it is quite expensive-sorry don't know what budget you have in mind, but this would take him right through to his teen years I'm sure.

http://www.kidsrooms.co.uk/range.aspx?RG_ID=495

Or something like this?

http://www.next.co.uk/homeware/boys-bedroom-furniture

HTH x

Hobbit

#4 Post by Hobbit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi Wendy,

We've just bought J-A this set (white and oak) in the theory that it'll last her into her teens!! we got the bed set (includes small set of drawers and pull out desk with book shelf insert that goes at the end of the bed. and the tall drawers and wardrobe ............ whilst I've managed to find lots of things to put in, i've still got some room for more :-) :-)

http://www.sleeplandbeds.co.uk/Cabin-Be ... 22FWI.aspx

It wasn't cheap but looking at it as an investment!! If you do get though beware! it said 75 minutes to put the bed stuff together ....... 4 hours later DH was still at it.

Hope you have success looking!!

Steph xx

wendymw

#5 Post by wendymw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm

THanks ladies there's some great links there.

Maryrose - that Aspace ones look great - although typical that the one I like is £1300 for just the bed! Yikes.

Wishuponstar thanks will look at those links.

Steph, thanks there are a few I quite like there. Are the mid sleepers/cabin beds quite high? Just wondering if they'll be too high for Theo or not? I'm sure he'll be fine as most of them have slightly built up sides.

Looks like I'll be digging into my savings...

Thanks
W x

Red Badger

#6 Post by Red Badger » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I know the high beds aren't recommended for children under 6 but not sure about mid sleepers - Argos catalogue mentions age suitable so could get an idea from there.
Sara x x x

wendymw

#7 Post by wendymw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Redbadger - just had a look and even the cabin beds say not suitable for a child under 6. Hmm. Might not worry as much about the stuff matching now then. I might go with the other idea of an ordinary single bed and possibly get a trundle bed.

Thanks
W

wendymw

#8 Post by wendymw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Steph/Hobbit - one question - I like the Mayfair bed and wardrobe etc (I quite like the plain oak one), but just wondered if they look sturdy once you've got them together? The wardrobe and tall chest of drawers are relatively cheap (compared to the cost of the bed!) and I just wondered what you thought.

I thought he may not use the desk, but as he gets older and does drawing and things more he can do it up there (and stop drawing on my furniture in the lounge!).

Oh and did you buy the mattress with it or buy that from somewhere else?

I've got someone coming round to measure up for fitted wardrobes to be put into the extension bedroom on Tuesday and my mum suggested getting fitted wardrobes for Theo's room, but I quite like the idea of free standing furniture for Theo's room as there's more opportunity to move things around if he wants to - although I ought to check the measurements out first...

I'd better get my dad geared up if it takes a long time to put together. My dad and I have put a lot of furniture together in our time!

Thanks again
Wendy

wendymw

#9 Post by wendymw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Just to update you, I've ordered the furniture for Theo's room.

I went for this one in the end

http://www.sleeplandbeds.co.uk/sleeplan ... -with-desk

I also ordered the matching wardrobe and large chest of drawers.

They're due to email me on Monday to tell me when they'll deliver! Exciting.

Spent an hour this morning dismantling the furniture in the back bedroom - certainly took less time to dismantle than it did to put up!

Thanks again
Wendy x

vip

#10 Post by vip » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Wendy - looks fab :) I'm sure Theo will love it xx

wendymw

#11 Post by wendymw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks VIP. Been 'working from home' today, so had a couple of breaks today and dismantled all the cheapie Argos furniture that was in the back bedroom and moved most of it downstairs - got 3 bags of clothes to go to charity shop as well.

Good luck for Monday - hope you have a lovely weekend.

W x