Left over embryos

Discussion Forum for those with assisted reproduction pregnancies and children.

Moderator: Administrator

loulou87

Left over embryos

#1 Post by loulou87 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello I just wondered if any one can relate! I'm so conflicted right now though I realise how truly lucky I have been. We have 3 children . Ivf in 2014 created 3 embryos from which we have a daughter age 4.5 and a son just turned 3 from a FET. We went on to conceive naturally and also have a one year old son. I'm so confused with what to do with our last embryo. This is further complicated as if DS2 hadnt arrived we would definatley have given it a shot. I can not bring myself to have the embryo destroyed (no judgement on people who do- I think my opinion is so strong as we were going to use it) nor can I picture us with another child we only have a 3 bed semi and the small age between them all is chaos (though amazing chaos). Dh does most the child care and really wants to get his career back on track so it seems unfair to put him back again. Has anyone donated embryos to another couple? How do you manage feelings around this? Part of me thinks we should just go ahead and have it but it doesnt seem fair to go into it hoping it dosent work which I would be! Playing on my mind so much!!! I would love to hear from anyone who has donated embryos or feels similar?
ME 32 PCOS dH 38
TTC since 2012
6x Clomid BFN
2x injectables bfn
IVF August 2014 BFP DD may 2015
2 frosties
FET March 2016 BFP DS1 Dec 2016
Natural conception DS2 Nov 2018

Smee

Re: Left over embryos

#2 Post by Smee » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm

I’m in the same situation now. Just had my letter through about my storage expiring.

I have 7 blastocysts in storage since my treatment since 2012. I’ve been dreading this letter coming.

Idon’t want to destroy them or give them to research but equally I’m not sure I could donate them. I guess even if I gave them away what if the new couple chose to destroy them once their treatment was over.

I know it’s just putting off the decision but do you know how long can they be stored for maximum?