First cycle over 40

For our over 40's crew!

Moderator: Administrator

AKClass

First cycle over 40

#1 Post by AKClass » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi everyone just started my first ivf cycle today. Was so nervous with the injections but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’m 42, been trying for 3 years. we struggle mainly due to male factor, hubby started off with zero sperm, that accounts for the first year, then the last 2 mainly low count, low motility and low morphology. Yet we managed to fall pregnant twice feb 2019 and feb 2020, sadly both early losses. This is why I put off fertility treatment as I thought we could fall pregnant on our own, but as age is not on my side finally made the step to try ivf

I know the stats look grim at my age and I need to stop googling and stay positive. My biggest challenge is not wanting to be too negative but also scared to be too positive in case it doesn’t work. Truth be told don’t know what to feel

Good luck to everyone else out there. Would love to hear some positive stories or from others going through this now too xx

Sophia25

Re: First cycle over 40

#2 Post by Sophia25 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am

Hi there

Im not going through it at the minute but we started IVF when I was just turning 39. How are you finding it all?

We found it all an absolute breeze to be fair - we were given x3 free chances on the NHS due to numerous early miscarriages and a very low ovarian reserve.

The only thing you can do is stay positive - what will be will be. :D

x

mrsamandab

#3 Post by mrsamandab » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm

AKClass wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Hi everyone just started my first ivf cycle today. Was so nervous with the injections but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’m 42, been trying for 3 years. we struggle mainly due to male factor, hubby started off with zero sperm, that accounts for the first year, then the last 2 mainly low count, low motility and low morphology. Yet we managed to fall pregnant twice feb 2019 and feb 2020, sadly both early losses. This is why I put off fertility treatment as I thought we could fall pregnant on our own, but as age is not on my side finally made the step to try ivf

I know the stats look grim at my age and I need to stop googling and stay positive. My biggest challenge is not wanting to be too negative but also scared to be too positive in case it doesn’t work. Truth be told don’t know what to feel

Good luck to everyone else out there. Would love to hear some positive stories or from others going through this now too xx
Hi - I said my first cycle on 1st June. The same as you I was nervous about the injections but a pro now :D, I'm 43 with blocked tubes.

The stats for our age don't look to go but its hard stop googling. I've got my egg retrieve tomorrow so trying to stay positive as my follicle count and sizes are good.

Good luck :D

Smudge75

#4 Post by Smudge75 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 pm

Good luck ladies x

AKClass

#5 Post by AKClass » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm

mrsamandab wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm
AKClass wrote:

Hi - I said my first cycle on 1st June. The same as you I was nervous about the injections but a pro now :D, I'm 43 with blocked tubes.

The stats for our age don't look to go but its hard stop googling. I've got my egg retrieve tomorrow so trying to stay positive as my follicle count and sizes are good.

Hiya how are you doing? So it’s been an absolute rollercoaster through stims and up to egg collection. At first I had a low follicle count, then I was worried the cycle would get cancelled. Then I thankfully had a growth spurt in follicles but only 3-4 above 10mm a few days ago.

Had my egg collection today which I was absolutely dreading as they don’t sedate you at my clinic and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I ovulated on friday before my trigger shot (Saturday) and convinced myself it was over. Egg retrieval today .. the shouted out one egg and I was almost in tears off joy as I hadn’t ovulated :) then another and another and in the end I got 5 eggs. More than they expected. Don’t know how many were mature so I will hear tomororw am how many were and how many fertilised. How are you getting on? X

AKClass

#6 Post by AKClass » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

Sophia25 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am
Hi there

Im not going through it at the minute but we started IVF when I was just turning 39. How are you finding it all?

We found it all an absolute breeze to be fair - we were given x3 free chances on the NHS due to numerous early miscarriages and a very low ovarian reserve.

The only thing you can do is stay positive - what will be will be. :D

x
Aw hi there, I got through the injections and surprisingly the egg collection today and I’ve got 5 eggs. Tomrooow I find out how many were mature and if they fertilised. It’s one rollercoaster after another :)

Did you have success with yours? Xx

AKClass

#7 Post by AKClass » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Smudge75 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 pm
Good luck ladies x
Thank you so much x

mrsamandab

#8 Post by mrsamandab » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 pm

AKClass wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm
mrsamandab wrote:
AKClass wrote:

Hiya how are you doing? So it’s been an absolute rollercoaster through stims and up to egg collection. At first I had a low follicle count, then I was worried the cycle would get cancelled. Then I thankfully had a growth spurt in follicles but only 3-4 above 10mm a few days ago.

Had my egg collection today which I was absolutely dreading as they don’t sedate you at my clinic and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I ovulated on friday before my trigger shot (Saturday) and convinced myself it was over. Egg retrieval today .. the shouted out one egg and I was almost in tears off joy as I hadn’t ovulated :) then another and another and in the end I got 5 eggs. More than they expected. Don’t know how many were mature so I will hear tomororw am how many were and how many fertilised. How are you getting on? X

Hiya - you was in with me today :D. It went a lot better then I expected but got pains like I had in my 20's from periods :lol: , I will also find out tomorrow how many fertilised. Good Luck xx

AKClass

#9 Post by AKClass » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm

mrsamandab wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 pm
AKClass wrote:
mrsamandab wrote:

Hiya - you was in with me today :D. It went a lot better then I expected but got pains like I had in my 20's from periods :lol: , I will also find out tomorrow how many fertilised. Good Luck xx

Hey how did you get on? I was so stressed waiting for the update. So out of my 5 eggs 4 were mature. 2 fertilised normally and I will probably have a day 3 transfer on Thursday. It’s a real rollercoaster. We are cycle twins :) hope you have a good outcome today too x

Hangerl

#10 Post by Hangerl » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi ladies
I started IVF treatment when I was 38 years old due to problems with husband and myself. After a roller coaster ride of emotions and treatment, 2 failed attempts and a miscarriage, I am now 40 years old and am 20 weeks pregnant. I wanted to let you know there is hope. Staying positive it what got me through this. Good luck on your journeys and know it can work.
Lisa xx

mrsamandab

#11 Post by mrsamandab » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm

AKClass wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm
mrsamandab wrote:
AKClass wrote:

Had my egg collection today which I was absolutely dreading as they don’t sedate you at my clinic and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I ovulated on friday before my trigger shot (Saturday) and convinced myself it was over. Egg retrieval today .. the shouted out one egg and I was almost in tears off joy as I hadn’t ovulated :) then another and another and in the end I got 5 eggs. More than they expected. Don’t know how many were mature so I will hear tomorrow am how many were and how many fertilised. How are you getting on? X

Hey how did you get on? I was so stressed waiting for the update. So out of my 5 eggs 4 were mature. 2 fertilised normally and I will probably have a day 3 transfer on Thursday. It’s a real rollercoaster. We are cycle twins :) hope you have a good outcome today too x
Hiya - That's good :) as everyone keeps saying it only takes one. I had 12 eggs, 7 mature, 6 fertilised and I'm booked in for Saturday for my transfer - I am stressed but trying to keep myself busy. I don't know how many out of the 6 I have left. Here's to the 2 week wait x

mrsamandab

#12 Post by mrsamandab » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Hangerl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm
Hi ladies
I started IVF treatment when I was 38 years old due to problems with husband and myself. After a roller coaster ride of emotions and treatment, 2 failed attempts and a miscarriage, I am now 40 years old and am 20 weeks pregnant. I wanted to let you know there is hope. Staying positive it what got me through this. Good luck on your journeys and know it can work.
Lisa xx
Thank you for your positive words. Its so hard not to worry even with hearing all the positive stories. xx

AKClass

#13 Post by AKClass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 pm

mrsamandab wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm
AKClass wrote:
mrsamandab wrote:

Hiya - That's good :) as everyone keeps saying it only takes one. I had 12 eggs, 7 mature, 6 fertilised and I'm booked in for Saturday for my transfer - I am stressed but trying to keep myself busy. I don't know how many out of the 6 I have left. Here's to the 2 week wait x
Hiya those are fantastic numbers, hopefully you will have a good few to choose from :)
I’m hoping our transfer happens tomorrow. Then the next set of anxiety will kick in waiting during the 2ww ! Good luck for Saturday x

AKClass

#14 Post by AKClass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Hangerl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm
Hi ladies
Lisa xx
Thank you for the lovely words. Hope your pregnancy is going well and wishing you all the best for the remainder .. soon have a beautiful baby in your arms :)

mrsamandab

#15 Post by mrsamandab » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:27 pm

AKClass wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 pm
mrsamandab wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm
AKClass wrote:

Hiya those are fantastic numbers, hopefully you will have a good few to choose from :)
I’m hoping our transfer happens tomorrow. Then the next set of anxiety will kick in waiting during the 2ww ! Good luck for Saturday x
Thank you - it’s so hard staying positive, I think it’s the not knowing.
Keep us posted on your transfer date and Good Luck.
Here’s to the next 2 weeks x